Return to Website

CLAMS Multiple Sclerosis BB

Welcome to the CLAMS MS BB hosted by JoAnne of the CLAMS organization. Please post often. JoAnne will monitor this BB on a daily basis. Thank You

CLAMS Multiple Sclerosis BB
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Just found out!

I was just diagnosed with MS Sept. 6, 2006...My doctor was wonderful...it felt like a ton of bricks hit me....I still am in shock from it...but I start my shots today...oh boy...I HATE NEEDLES....dont get me wrong this is a very serious disease...but I am more afraid of that stupid needle...I am trying to keep a positive attitude...this is the hand that I have been dealt...gotta play it out! Yet I look at my kids...and I wonder what is going to be...I too do not want to be a burden to anyone...always took care of myself...never relied on anyone else...now this...its going to be a rough road to travel..but this is just another hurdle to get over...I am 45 years old and have a son that just turned 26 and a daughter who is 17...I will be taking the med REBIF three times a week...did I mention I hate needles... Has anyone else taken this med...?

Re: Just found out!

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis Renee, but it sounds like you have an amazing attitude, which is great. I was diagnosed in April (I was 24 at the time), and began treatment with a medication similar to Rebif at the end of June. It's a bit of an adjustment at first (I too HATE needles), but the key is to just keep a really positive attitude about it. I try and think how lucky we are to be diagnosed in a day and age where disease modifying treatments are available in the first place, and I've even printed off some articles about my treatment from the internet and keep them with my medication for encouragement on days that are exceptionally tough. Good luck!!!

Re: Re: Just found out!

Daniela,
Thank you for your kind words. Wow I have never been told that I have an amazing attitude before...there are days that I feel I can take on the world...and then there are days that I sit back and say How am I going to do this...( I know I told you I hate needles) for the rest of my life....but I keep on..I have only had 8 shots...and I am already feeling like this...that is bad.....yet it is not the actual disease that has me down...its those daggone needles...how childish eh? Well thanks for the encouragement...and wishing the same for you...one day at a time! Take care of yourself.

Renee

Re: Re: Re: Just found out!

Well wow its been one heck of a weekend...I had my eleventh shot of Rebif on friday 10/13..and I am now off of it..Doc says DO NOT TAKE ANOTHER SHOT...due to depression..bad side effect!!! Well...onto another drug for me.....this one is called copaxone ??? Has anyone taken this one?? Well I am feeeling like me again...wow it feels good, to feel like me again!!! Anyway thanks for the support!!!

Renee

Re: Re: Re: Re: Just found out!

I was diagnosed in March and started taking Avonex. I hate needle but it was only once a week. I set my mind to just take the shot when I got home on Friday evening and not worry about it the rest of the week. That seemed to help. I September I had a severe allegic reaction to Avonex and spent a few days in the hispital. Now I have been taking Copaxone for a few weeks. It means a shot everday now! The needle is small and the side effects make it feel like a bee sting for about and hour, and that's it. I recommend putting heat on the injection site for a few minutes before and ice for a few minutes afterward. It comes with an auto-injector, inject as deep as you can it hurts less afterwards.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Just found out!

Thanks Denise.

I am not so sure about all this...I have been on copaxone now for eight shots and now I have a bacterial infection...when I would take a shot two hours after I began shaking uncontrollably..until now the doctor has me off of it for a little while...but now I am scared to go back on it...for fear of the shakes and high fever!!! They say that this is not an effect from the copaxone..but it is hard for me not to feel that it is...since it started after I took the shots...oh well gotta do whatcha gotta do!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Just found out!

My husband was diagnosed with MS this summer. So I have been watching him give himself the Avonex injections once a week, which creeps me out. Thats my point... for those of you who hate needles, its ONCE a week. Maybe you could look into that, and save yourself a few days of stress each month.

Best of Luck to you.
Nichole

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Just found out!

Sorry have not been on this site in awhile...Thanks for all the messages...I believe that Avonex is a inferon drug which is what gave me the deep depression so my doctor will not allow me to take it...unless it is my last resort! But thanks...and I believe that is the one that is an intermuscular injection...those hurt...i feel for him!!!! OUCH!!!!!!!!!!! I am such a pansy....I cannot even watch my boyfriend give me the shot!! Poor guy, he is wonderful...can't imagine him not being in my life.....God did bring me an angel to take care of me in this manner!!!! Well I hope that everyone is doing good at this time....they are coming out with a new drug...I don't know if anyone has heard of it but Acorda is making this...it is a drug that rebuilds the myelin...this seems to be helping MS people to walk again.!!!! isnt that a wonderful thing!!! It has I believe 12 more weeks of study...before FDA approves it.....so we shall see...hopefully this will help lots and lots of people with little side affects...

Re: Just found out!

HI MY NAME IS MARTA I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS(MS) WHEN I WAS 16 THE YEAR 2009 I HAD NO IDEA WHAT THAT WAS IT WAS ALL SO SUDDEN IT TOOK THE DOCTORS SO LONG TO FIGURE IT OUT NOW I INJECT MYSELF ONCE A WEEK I TRY AND STAY STRONG BUT ITS REAL HARD SOMETIMES I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR GOING THRU YOUR STORY HIT HOME FOR ME ITS LIKE PEOPLE TRY AND HELP BUT THE PAIN IS WITHIN KNOWING WHATEVER YOU AS HARD AS YOU TRY YOUR ALWAYS GONNA HAVE MS .YOU JUST HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT AS BEST AS YOU CAN THE FIRST year WAS THE HARDEST BUT IVE MOVED PASSED IT AND THANKS TO MY GOD THAT GIVES ME STRENGTH EVERYDAY TOO WAKE UP AND FOR THE PRAYERS YOU WOULDNT EVEN THINK I HAVE MS SO JUST TO KEEP BELIEVING AND THAT GOD IS ALWAYS WITH you.