supaheader

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SUPA, WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO END THE BULLSHIT?!

Supa,

This message board is becoming nothing more than then a hangout for yeahoos, naysayers and trouble makers! There are a few, informative, good people who post here but for the most part, the overall quality of this forum has seriously deteriorated over the past year or so.

Can you explain to me exactly how that's helping the reputation that this brand of football is typically preceeded by? I'm sorry but I guess I just don't get how this crap is of any value to the guys that work so hard week in and week out to put a quality program out on the field!

Being that I KNOW WHO YOU ARE and what you SUPPOSEDLY stand for, I'm dissappointed that you've let the stupid crap go on as long as you have. Why don't you end the anonymous JUNK and require registration on this site? You have enough people that use this board for legitimate purposes that I'm sure they wouldn't mind having to register if they knew each time they came here, they wouldn't have to sift through the ignorant posts left by ball-less, nameless, punks and thugs. If anything, I'll bet that would even bring back a lot of people who used to come here, I know several who left and don't come back because of all the BS!

If you're a frequent visitor to this site and agree with me, please post to let Supa know you've also had enough!

A REAL midwest football fan,
Brian

Re: SUPA, WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO END THE BULLSHIT?!

I agree with you man. I thought this was suppose to be an informative message board not a bunch of people talkin crap.

I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have. I must stand with anybody that stands right, stand with him while he is right, and part with him when he goes wrong.
- -- Abraham Lincoln

Lighten up, Francis.

Gents-

First of all, thanks for your concern- seriously. I am glad to know that you count on this place to be a forum of high discourse. I strive- and always have struggled- toward that same end. If you know me as you say you do, you will have noticed that I have many many times made the same admonishment you just did- the many times I have had to delete posts- the many times I have had to ban posters.

Democracy is a messy and imperfect enterprise. I always walk the line between supporting dissent and real, relevant criticism and having to reluctantly exercise my responsibility to censor offensive speech. I have consciously chosen (as I always try to) to not require registration here. While this forum has more than its share of blowhards and knuckleheads, it thrives precisely because I choose to keep relatively low barriers to involvement.

Creating a structure in which posters need to be blessed by me personally in order to participate would stifle the discussion and drive people away. It would create the appearance that I was providing selective access to those I was fond of and keeping out those whose ideas or personalities I might dislike. We need not look far to find numerous examples- both current and extinct- of that kind of forum.

To close, I want to repeat that I share your concerns and strive every day to make this a better place. I am afraid, however, that we disagree on the best means to achieve that objective. We would all do well to remember that lesson from kindergarten: the best way to silence a troublemaker is to ignore him.

I think that expains it pretty well and I agree.

well said supa..

Well, just as I thought you really don't care. You're right, you should still allow the constant provocation, bashing and harrassment of leagues, teams, coaches and players here on your insanely popular, end all, be all message board. Get over yourself!

So requiring someone to register to use your little message board is somehow going to squash "democracy?" Haha! That's a good one. I wasn't trying to incinuate that you should play "God" by having to approve users, only that you allow those of us that come here for decent conversation, or to obtain information are able to do so without having to sift through all of the CHEAP TRASH that's posted.

Anonymity cheapens our right to free speech. Anonymity gives us the option to hide, which is not what free speech is about. What free speech is about, is the right to not have to hide. So while American law protects anonymous speech, the American tradition tells us the only opinion that counts is the one with a name attached to it.

You should not accept anonymous comments as a necessary function. What anonymity often protects is not free speech, but hate, rudeness, cruelty and cowardice. Your forum allows people to say things from a distance they would never say face-to-face.

So what the anonymous factor here creates is not reasoned discourse but spew. Worse, what the anonymity does is fool us into thinking free speech is free.

It is not. It has come with a price.

Show a little respect for your faithful Supa, it would appear to me that you have an opportunity to do the right thing here by protecting the ability to use this forum for practical gain, not the few that post under several anonymous names here.

i think im gonna have to agree with brian on this one sorry supa your board is cool but to much smacktalking id be happy to register!

Compromise:

Let people register who want to be verified, but also let the losers post behind fake names if they wish.

That way everyone is happy

Now were is my mediation payment?

registering wont stop it. you can still make up as many fake registered names as you can unregistered. just because you leave your name doesent mean anyone knows who you are. look at the stats, 80% of the visitors to the site are repeat hits.

the main purpose of registration on message boards is so your ip address is shown on your post, your name doesn't really matter. people wouldn't post some of the crap they do if their ip is displayed. theres ways to figure out who these gutless-turd posters are!

I agree with Brian with the whole nameless faceless trashtalkers who wouldnt say anything to you face. I hate the fact that it happens. At the same time I agree with others who have said that there are several ways to still talk trash while just using different names. The whole thing is being taken to far tho. Supa made a point and saying that the best way to defeat a bully is to ignore them. (or something like that). With that said, if the sight bothers any of us that bad we can always just stop coming. And Brian in all fairness you can always do exactly what Supa decided to do and start your own site. Have it mediated, moderated, and have a registry. If its your site you can do whatsoever you choose. Im not %100 sure but i bet supa has never went on to your myspace page and told you how to change it. I agree there is to much trash talking, but noone here has the right to tell Supa how to run his page. I dont care if your name is on your post. If it was that big of a concern and you know him how you say you do, you can always give him a call, rather than try to call him out on his own website. Several things could have been done differently here.
If you dont like the site
1. stop putting it in your address bar.
2. make your own.
3. dont read or respond to what you dont like.

I dont like the way the economy is but complaining about it on a message board wont change anything. If you do start your own site just remember one thing, Supa had his first.

Good things may come to those who wait for them, but it will only be the leftovers of those who hustle.
- Abraham Lincoln

Many times the IP is a public computer or it can only be in a general area. I know we have looked up things in the past and just given a general area on the southside of Indy. We have also gotten as close as a building server. not everyone posts from home.

On to the discussion at hand. I would like to see if we could have an open board and a registered board. I do not know what the cost would be to Supa, but it might be worth it for those of us who like to have some seroius discussion on here.

Lastly, stop slamming Supa. He is like a brother to me. We have battled and bled together. he is as stand up guy as I have known. Some times a little too liberal for my tastes, but he does what he can for us.

he said he has banned people which implies that the ip is logged. now what about that message board that was announced on here many months ago, http://www.semipronetwork.com , you gotta register there and it is basically a ghost town on that message board. there are probably as many post on here in a week as there are on there during many months. face it, a message board with no posts is boring.

unless you like to read the same thing over and over again. I find it kind of soothing

well brain i believe you have some valued points but i also believe you are one big dam jackass.. i am a disabled veteran served in the army i was shot and flipped in a tank.. i served to give americans to include yourself the oppurtunity to speak ones mind anomoulsley or publically. its your choice as a american a freedom i helped preserve.. so my point is my name is steve aka steveo maybe 100 people know who i am personally on here... and im sure your not one of them so if someone post there names you gonna drive to there house hurt them etc... do you need ones ss# address.. supa and everyone has the right to post whatever whenever one wants.. so if your that offended start lobbying the senetors and congressman to make free speech illegal and punishable under your rules and subjections.. so if i offended you in any way please i mean feel free to i guess kick my ass or at least attempt to its like me posting my name you will know who i am... not trying to intentially piss anyone off just my thoughts...

Supa,

Keep doin' what you're doin'! Most of us appreciate it and enjoy it. I can speak for most of us reasonable folk when I say - if I think it's bs and don't want to "sift" through it, then I pass over it (just like I do 98% of the channels on my direct tv!).

Thanks again!

Tony Martin

I appreciate the concerns expressed by Mr. Faulkner- I honestly do. The decision not to require registration is one that was not easily arrived at, but it is one that I do stand by. Many of your criticisms are valid, but at the end of the day the most important thing to me is that the conversation go on- even if it is messy.

Please understand that I have not blown off your concerns. I hope and believe that you will stick around and keep adding your voice to the cacophony here- and help drown out the knuckleheads. A retreat to the dark corner of the cybersphere will only mean that the knuckleheads had won. I am sure you will join me in being sure that that does not happen.

Finally, your criticisms seem to ignore the fact that I have maintained editorial control of this site when things get out of hand. You need look no farther than the thread stickied near the top. Dozens of IPs have been banned and scores of threads have been removed. The line may not be where you would like it to be- but I do police things. Most often, I try to err on the side of inclusion. After all, as I am sure you know from your case law and your Big Lebowski dialogue, the Supreme Court has roundly rejected prior restraint.

Hey man I've been looking in on this board for a long time and I am here to tell you that it is one of the best around. I don't know Supa but I do know that he is always fair and that most dudes I know come here for valid information. I also don't know the dudes that are saying negative stuff about Supa and about this board but it seems to me like it is just sour grapes that there site is not as good or as popular as this one.

whatever though, this is my first time posting and i am just like the other cats around here i always ignore the mess talkin and skip right over it. thanks Supa for hosting this site it is great and has been for years and years.

supa keep on keeping on...