supaheader

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Game cancelled

The Generals vs. Chi-Town Blaze game has been cancelled. The Blaze backed out of their commitment.

Re: Game cancelled

Why did the chicago team back out of the game?

The found out about JJ. A true weapon of mass destruction..Finally, someone from the generals gives JJ his starting spot..

I was going to ask earlier....since I have played against most of the Chicago Teams...

Who the Heck are the Blaze...?

A team that Troy made up to make it sound like the generals can compete with big city teams. And then say they backed out to make them sound like they should fear the generals.

This is a joke just in case people can't figure that out.

The Chi-Town Blaze are a first-year (I think) team. They are/were part of the "Lake Michigan Football League" which was started this year from the ashes of the Northwest Indiana league.

They announced the league with six teams; three have dropped out, and one has joined. I think the league--and most of the teams--are in trouble. Probably gas prices are killing 'em.

The Blaze told me they didn't have enough players to come down and play, because of injuries, jobs and other "commitments".

I have seen MANY teams backing out of games and joborees all year. We had the Riot back out of our jamboree, because they weren't going to have enough players. Then they schedule a game with the Indiana Cardinals. Then the Wranglers backed out of the jamboree the day before. I heard two different stories on that one...work issues, and a wedding. I love the guys from the Wranglers, but that one hurt. Then this. I have seen this happen to many other teams as well.

I can understand teams having low numbers, but I will bring up a quote that I have HEARD was uttered by Dane Hill. "Take your butt kicking like a man." I feel I can say this, because the Generals took 20 players down to Evansville in 2002, and got ROCKED by the then 50 player deep Vipers, then played them again at home two weeks later. We took our butt kickings like men, but we never backed out of our commitments. Also, I remember the Broncos taking only 14 players up to Michigan to play the Longhorns a few years ago, and playing their butts off, and keeping the game close. You never know what you can do on the field when you try, and if it's true what many people say about playing, "for the love of the game"...then it shouldn't matter.

Teams come and teams go. We've seen many teams fold this year, for many reasons. If you COMMIT to something, you should follow through.

Years ago in 2000, Earl Parsons' Muncie Thunder played the entire season with no more than 19 roster players, and they NEVER quit. We as the Grizzlies had about 45, and they drove from Muncie UP to Elkhart in week 5 to play us. That day, they had 12 players and one got hurt during the game. Never once did the complain, or quit.

That, to me, was football at it's grittiest and best.

Hendricks

Well I played for the Sting for two years. There were many away games with fewer than 20 players. We got the crap beat out of us but we were there.

I believe the problem exist in Semi-Pro because of tolerance within the leagues. The simple fact is this, many years ago there were only a few leagues in existance. There also were not as many teams that were around, now all the sudden there has been a recent explosion in both numbers. Why is that, is there more players available? No, in fact I would say fewer and fewer players are joining Semi-Pro each year. The fact is there are to many teams being started by disgruntled "non-starters", and to many leagues being formed by these teams. The fact of the matter is this leagues have to be condensed. Then there has to be an agreement not to take teams with less than fourty commited players and proof of fiscal responsibility. Then the good teams need to agree not to play these so called teams. In Chicago alone you could take the Chi-Town Blaze, Chicago Grizzlies and Illinois Seahawks combine them and still not have a full roster. Yet everyone tries to invent the wheel. These guys that are playing could make legit teams such as the Leydon Lions, Chicago Cardinals and Chicago Thunder legit challengers in a national setting each year. I see the same is happening if not worse in Indiana. There needs to be some form of conversation amoung the different leagues to stifle the smaller teams and leagues if Semi-Pro is to not turn into Softball.

For starters, I again want to apologize to the Cardinals for backing out of a game in mid June.

2nd, I want to clarify somethings about the Lake Michigan Football League. We may only have four teams, but we have four committed, strong teams. With regards to our team, we have 30-35 guys that will be strapping up this Saturday against the Blaze. We are not even close to in trouble. We have funds, facilites, equipment, etc. to play with the big boys. Our only issue is having 3 owners that dont always want to pull in the same direction. The other three teams, Chicago Blaze Chicago Grizzly Bears and Chicago Falcons, these teams all have 30+ roster players as well. We may be a young league, with relatively new teams, but we will survive and you will hear about this league, or at least the Rage, for years to come.

I feel for you guys I was reall PO'd when the thunder decided to forfeit the playoffs because they would only have 17 players. I was also about 5 min. away from meeting the team after an hour drive to get there when they told me.