supaheader

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Why do you play?

Sitting at the bad end of a butt kicking this weekend, I watched my team self distruct, with everyone yelling at everyone, and people shaking their heads in anger. As a single player, I had a pretty good game, but yet I found myself frustrated, even yelling at a coach at one point. After the game was over, and I spoke with fans and my family, I again saw the men that I had spent the past three months practicing with at each others throats. As I stood their watching this occur, the thought went through my head "Why am I here?" I spent the rest of the weekend thinking about this, and found my answer, but realized that I am probably not the only person that has felt this way and asked this very question. So, I thought that maybe it would be a good to start a thread that allows for players to tell their story, about how and why they are involved in this great game.

#48, Elkhart Shamrocks
Sports have always been a part of my life. Growing up, I played any sport there was. I was built for athletics as well, so things came easy to me. I was recruited by several D-1 schools for baseball, and I was an All-American in college in Track. While in college, I remember looking at people I would see in everyday life, and thinking "Those people don't have a game tommorrow, their life must suck." My entire life revolved around sports, and I loved it. As time went on, I had to grow up, get a job, started a family, and settle down. The thing I was most passionate about in my youth was no longer there, and I really felt like something was missing. It took me a while to figure it out, and in this time I became depressed and overweight, the kind of person who just a few years earlier, I thought their life sucked. So, in short, I play to fill that area in my life, to satisify that primal urge to compete. Now granted, it is not as easy to bounce back the next week at the age of 30 as it was at 18, but it is still a hell of a lot of fun.

Re: Why do you play?

green moose i think what you have said is why we play the game or coach the game.good luck to you and the rock the rest of the season also i know how it feels to get beating as two weeks ago we got took to old school by the Chicago thunder and i told my team that game was a learning game and we came out this past week end with a no die sprit and was losing until half way through fourth qt and found ways to win so rock come back this week and play your game.

Personally, i started playing again because i feel that one day i will look back on my life and question myself, "Did i live up to my potential or did i just settle?" I'm very thankful to have the opportunity to play again and just hope that one day i can say i attained my full potential without having one ounce of doubt in my mind. I plan to have kids one day and what better example could i set for them than to be able to sit down and show them what i accomplished in life. Its one thing to talk about what you could've done and another to show what you did.
-Patrick Wood #9

pippen...first, i want to say tough loss this past weekend, i have played with quite a few of you guys and i wish you guys the best this weekend. now to answer your question. you know some of my family is like why do you play? you don't get paid. you could get hurt, and don't you have a family. lol, i laugh because there is only a few that can understand why athletes compete, not to mention why football players play. i have loved this game from a very young age, besides my family, its the one thing that can bring every emotion i have out of me. i don't want to be an old man one day looking back saying, man, i wished i would have done this or that. i am going to do everything i can to live life NOW. i know i am writing a book, but this game we play, football, it just drives me to want to be great, it pumps me up thinking about playing, not to mention when i step on the field and know its going to be a war.............and last, but not least, my teammates, i didn't expect to make some of the friendships i have made playing semi-pro football. people on my team, or people from different teams, its awesome how grown men can come together and play a game and earn each others respect on the field. i could go on all day, but i will stop now.....i just want to say to anyone i have played with, played against or am playing with now, the pleasure as been all mine. good luck this weekend to all teams.

gross #36
kc mustangs

good question.. i watched remeber the titans just the other day.. i think its best said when the coach says the football field is my church everything seems right the fight the struggle the joys of winning the sorrows of losing.. i have to competed for 26 staright years this year of football. i ve played hurt seperated shoulder broken thumbs nose broke some say thats just crazy and women dont understand but football for me always just made sense i believe fellas thats what we all do it for...

Green Moose

I play with the Miami County Vikings and latley we have been on the losing side of all of our games. I have been asked by many people close to me why i continue to play. It many reasons really, its the way it feels to hit or to play. Its a way to test myself, to see if i have what it takes to compete. Its the urge to play the game i love and to play with a team that i am proud to call my brothers. I like you cannot imagine a life without football...

Solomon Allen
Miami County Vikings
Reciver, Running Back, DB

I play for one reason, I love the game and the competition. I love my teammates and my coaches, thats the reason i drive 50miles to Bloomington on tues and thurs to make it to practice, even though there are several other teams closer to the Indy area. Sure, i have fought with some of my teammates in practice, but thats where it stays, we are a family; my blood brother plays on the team with me and we have fought before too, but like i said we are a family and those types of things happen and we are made stronger for having those things happen to us....I play because this game makes me happy, even when i lose im still happy to have played the game and felt the rush of emotion when i walk on the field....

I play the game for my teammates. The Brotherhood in the game of football is unlike anything in the world. no matter how big or good your team is every guy on your team will die for you out there and you will do the same for them. I also play for my daughter cuz someday i want her to see her daddy as a hero of some kind. So I guess I have some personal and team loving reasons

I agree with rcr4. I came into this year out of shape, under weight, and injured. I decided that i wasnt even gonna play this year up until few practices into it. And we have been at the wrong end of some butt woopins so far this year. Its frustrating and it hurts physically, but even with that, the guys that i go out and there and battle with, even new ones that i get to know everyweek keeps me coming back.

I play because my wife dont want me at the house

in 2 Weeks I will hit the young age of 41....why do I keep playing....because the game keeps me young....

"You dont stop playing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop playing"

Seriously....the brotherhood of this game keeps me young.

As I stated in the post Shamrock nation. I was playing this year just to be able to play with my son one year. Well we at least got one game in together.
I am now playing for my team and at 51 I still have a passion for the game. I love to watch it But being able to play it one more time is a blast. I have also developed friends no wait I have gained family. I know saturday we did not play like a family, but I believe that will change. I love to win as much as the next guy. I enjoyed going out there Saturday no more then i played and bumping helmets with the Guys on the generals hearing and feeling the helmets and pads popping. Trying to chase down some of you younger guys. (still breathing heavy). I look forward to developing more friends over the rest of the season. I expect a few of you to knock me on my butt, but i will get up and try again and who knows i might catch off balance and make you trip then i can say i knocked you on yours.

Good Luck and God Bless
Coach Carter #51 Shamrock

DAMN Don I didn't know it was like that........41 Shit I thought I've been at this for awhile. Over here in Detroit we have quite a few players that are over 35, glad I'm stil a ways under that! But I guess youth doesn't do evrything for ya cause we're ball'n out. Stay up and young bro!

Whats up Clayton.....yeah....I dont think I'm the oldest in Thunder Camp....I believe we have 1 around 44 but hey....whos counting.....

im sitting here reading all these and i agree with most of them and feel the same so y post the same thing. then I realized that none of them is the real reason y i love this game that has taken over my life. I had an epiphany that football is really the only thing i know how to do. Ya i have a job and Im getting ready to start a family but you just know that if there was one thing you can do for the rest of your life it would be to put on the pads and run around with a football. But since i realized that in this sport that i love so much, no matter win or lose, i love to see people succeed. It really makes me proud when I can help 1 of my teammates out teaching them something they didnt know how to do before, or seeing someone make a great block to spring that big touchdown. cause succeding in the slightest of margins is still succeeding.

TO WIN!!!! straight up, no B.S. Nothing feels better than lying on the field of battle, exhausted, and victorious.

Although Im not playin this year, I'll answer the same way I always have answered that question. If I gotta explain it to ya, ya probably wouldnt understand.

In my first year with the Pirates I played because I missed the game. As with some of you, I missed my shot at the college level due to various reasons and regretted not taking the offer.

I wanted to see if I could still play. It was a decent year, then I saw what this level is all about. The cheating, the lying, the BS that goes with it all. I realized overall there is no team at this level. There are "clicks" or a core or players that stick together and move from team to team.

I felt starting my own team, also with JT, we could do it differently. It started fine but then the players at this level are what they are, amateurs. Some have the talent to great things, but attitude and commitment were huge problems. Hence the reason we are not in existince this year.

To be plain and simple, this level of football has left a bad taste with me and turned me away. This is why I don't play any longer. Im tired of the cry babies and the players that are "superstars" in their own worlds.

To those that still enjoy it, props to you. Im sure most of you if you sit back and reflect agree, it would be great to have some where to just play ball and not deal with all the crap. Unfortunately those days are behind us all.

Good luck to the rest of you this season.

I play because it's the most fun I've had in more than 15 years. I'm 36 years old. The last time I had played organized football was when I was 12 years old. Oh, we played backyard ball a lot when I was in high school. Some of those guys I played with played for the high school team and asked me to come out for the team. But I was lazy. After pee wee, they were gonna make me work out and crap like that and I didn't want any part of it. lol In late 2005, I found out about this and in 2006 I started playing. At 34, I had not worn shoulder pads or a helmet in 22 years which is more years than a lot of players in this league are old. I was so terrified that first play. And it took me a while to get where I was comfortable. I am an ok offensive lineman. I wish I was still what I weighed after high school and I'd be a decent tight end, but I'm over 100 pounds heavier than those days. Bottom line is I'm not the best player and I'm not the worst, but I have had a ton of fun these past 3 years in the MFL. Win or lose, I always have fun. I wish I had found it 10 years ago. 15 years ago. So what I'm doing now is living my youth that I should have lived if I'd played high school ball. While I have no regrets about my life, I do wonder what I would have done if I had played. But I don't dwell on it. I go out there, do the best I can, and love every minute of it, because at my age, I don't know how much longer it will last. I've already retired from the league twice and I keep coming back. Call me the Brett Favre of the O-line. lol

To push up the haters. Not to prove critics wrong.

To evidence and answer one question, "Did he have passion?"

To pull up my brothers and to be pulled up.

To temper my temper.

Oh yea, I like way it makes my teeph feel.

Momma says alligators is angry cause they got all them teeph and no tooph brush.

http://dannifrain.blogspot.com/
keeps life in perspective

I play this game because I LOVE THIS GAME!!! Best game on earth , but I also play this game because it is bigger than what we see it from day to day. I want to be apart of the brotherhood of players across the world! A brotherhood that shares the same passion, dedication and determination to not only be the best player I can be, but a better person through football!!

That is why i play...Good luck this weekend and Wranglers...travel safe and see you saturday!