supaheader

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
GENERALS O-LINE

What the heck happened with the O-line last night? I saw about 4 different combos on the right side alone,and at least 2 on the left, which seems to be an issue. The running game just wasn't there at all. Please do something. I love seeing your running game.

Re: GENERALS O-LINE

Here's what happened with the o-line. Pre-season our backup qb tears a ligament in his foot. 2nd week of the season our starting qb (which is just a monster)goes down with an injury. Last night, our 3rd string qb (who usually plays receiver) breaks his leg. Then we have to use our starting tailback to play qb. I don't know if you have ever played football before, but if you have you will know that if the opponent doesn't think you have a passing threat they are going to shove 8 or 9 guys in the box and bring everybody. Not to mention the Cougars do have a pretty good defense. We have one of the best lines if not the best when we are at full strength. I think they have done a good job considering the circumstances. I mean, 5 on 9 isn't really a fair fight, yet we had a 100 yard rusher against the blazers. Injuries happen to every team. We've just been bitten a little harder than others right now, but don't worry injuries do heal(some very quickly), and we will be fine. Thanks for the concern.

Here is the thing, you guys need some BEEF on the o-line. When you had number 42 and 69 on the line, the Cougars defense ran right over those guys. That was the side they kept coming to. This was your weak side last night. The left side of the line was fine. Even the center was doing great. There is also a technique called cutting which gets a d-line to stop blitzing so many guys real quick.

It's not about more BEEF our guy are getting hit late and that how they are getting injured. Preseason was a horse collar when it was established we would not hit the QB's, in Elekhart it was a late hit which was call and last nite hit was hit after the ball was gone. The line has been doing great but when you're done to your 5th string QB timing gets of and you are depending on your guys pure athletic ability and they have stepped up weekend and out. Last nite the MCC sent 6 to 8 guys at a time. So having to replace another WR/QB with a RB/QB that did not practice at that position at all. Everyone performed well on the fly and needs to be commended.

You guys still need to get some size on that line. Like I said, you're right side was getting all the blitz b/c those guys were small and regardless of how well they do they weren't big enough to clog a bath tub drain.

First off I want to commend the Cougars for how well they played last night. They dont have outstanding numbers but they flat play hard on every single snap of the ball. Second the Generals Defense stepped up all night and made huge plays when they had too. Third in regards to the O-Line, I walked away knowing that I personally have work to do on my blocking assignments and technique and that as a front five we have work to do to establish continuity as a group that allows us to adjust to the varying defensive schemes that are thrown are way. #42 & #69 may not have the typical 0-Line size but I will go to war with these guys anytime they play there butts off.

Play J.J. at QB, He is a player..

I agree with #64 everyone has work to do! as far as #42 and #69, they may not be the typical size but there are guys like that all over this league....they still bring it every week and are contributors to this team. I've seen lots of guys out there with twice the size and half the heart....heart usually takes you farther!

IFL watcher FYI in this league there is a 3 x 3 free blocking zone where cuts blocks in the back etc are legal. This means that the offensive tackles CAN NOT cut. In addition the tailbacks can NOT cut either. The only eligible defensive players to be cut in this league are the ones that line up on the line of scrimmage over the center and two guards. Linebackers who come through the middle on a delayed blitz DE's DT's that start over the offensive tackles are not in the free blocking zone. Just some knowledge for ya before you criticize.

I will agree that heart does matter a lot and they may have a lot of it. However, when the D TACKLES are getting through the line every other play it takes a lot more then heart to stop that. I am not saying that size is all that matters but it helps.

Actually the cut zone is 4 yards on either side of the center and 1 yard in front and behind the line of scrimmage (i would always get a different answer from the refs last year, so this year i printed a copy of the rules, they come with me everywhere). So if your tackles play in tight enough, they can cut. But you are right, cutting is only allowed at the snap of the ball...so if they bring a delayed blitz you just gotta stick your nose in there!!

First off, as the leader of the Generals offense, I would like to say that I am 100% confident in our o-lines blocking abilities. Only the true fans and players that have played and watched our offense completely heathy know how well WE manage the game. It is difficult to keep defenses honest when you cannot throw downfield. PERIOD. The line is playing well given our circumstances. I was sacked 2 times the first game and one was my fault, the other was play action and the D end made a nice play. The second game I was not sacked. So, that being said, please understand we are shorthanded at the arguably most important position on the field, and know that we are doing our best given the circumstances. Please continue to support us and be patient; I will be back soon!

I know that it is allowed according to the rules, but I fully disagree with the use of the cut block. At this level of play we ALL have to wake up Monday morning & go to work. We don't have the luxury of having highly paid medical staffs taking care of us through out the year like the pros. I have also heard that there is a proper way to cut block a defender, but do we all have the time during pratices to instruct the proper techniques of the block or defending the cut block??? Some teams practice twice a week while some maybe once a week. What instructions can you really give in possibly four hours a week??? I honestly believe we need to stand together & say we do not want the cut block anymore. I think everyone knows at least one person who has been injured & lost the opportunity to play & even more important time off from work just from the cut block. We as a league have the duty to make this brutal sport of football safe as possible for everyone, even the big uglies in the trenches. We need each other on the field, so lets stop the hatred for one another & the dirty play. Without each other, then who do we play??? I do pray that everyone has a safe & heathy year.

Mitchell Frantz
Shamrock #3
Co-Owner

This has been talked about on here in the past and it really doesent matter since nothing will be changed. If your on the line, most people have already accepted its part of the game.

Come on Man. The cut block is not dirty. It is a tool used when blocking. Every defender knows how to defend it and every OL should kow how to do it. It is our responsibility as players to do it correctly. Chop blocks(Hitting people in the back of the legs)and high lows (A player blocking high and then another player cutting) are the only dirty blocks. If you take away the cut blocks then there is a great advantage to the defense. You are limited on who you can put in at line. When numbers are short and you have to patchwork a line and you take away the cut block...That is just asking for an injury. Bottom line is that as a coach and player you need to make time in those four hours to teach this. We took time with the Chiefs, Tornados and Broncos to teach it to the people who did not kow how to do it. And I have always taught the D how to defend against it.
Damn I miss it, but hopefully next year I can get back into it.
Foga

Foga is 100% correct that it is part of the game. Learn to do it or learn to defend against it either way your not going to stop it from happening. Hopefully this weekend the Generals oline can give the Crush a run for the money during the tailgate post party. Hoss, is it most hotdogs under three minutes or longest keg stand this week? Either way I'm in.

Bring the keg...we'll help ya kill it! I'm lookin forward to a great, hard hitting game.

About the cut block...I would have to agree to keep it in play. The cut is not a dirty block...it's a blocking technique. Is it dirty for a defender to dive at a running backs legs when he's running full sprint at him with the ball...nope, I believe that's a tackle.

I'm all for cutting anywhere on the field, just like college or pro...but that will never happen. The best advice I can give is to buy some McDavid kneebraces for protection, I've had the same pair since my sophomore year of highschool...and I have been lucky enough not to have anything serious happen.

Aside from the blah, blah, rah, rah...I'm ready to play some football this saturday! Generals...travel safe!

Thad #73

The chop block I received was totally illeagal and the MCC got called for it. I didn't get hurt because I have played for a while and I was lucky to recognize that look in #55 eyes when I had just beat the center and I got my hands out to protect myself. The cut block is only allowed 3 or 4 yards from the line of scrimmage and in front of the follow of the play. To do it from the side or the back is illeagal. It's a block needed for certain plays and when done right the only thing that normally gets hurt is the pride of a DEFENSIVE LINEMAN besides if you have to rely on the cut block to keep from getting beat it usually tells that you are being owned by the guy across from you. So weights, practice, video, or vitamins cuz brother you need help!

The cut block is not a technique for guys getting beat...it's a technique for guys who have played at a level higher than this. You use it to keep guys from jumping the snap count or even to slow down someone with a good bullrush.

To say someone who cut blocks is less of a football player, or needs to get in the gym...is just a farse. If you can't block, cut blockin isn't gonna save you.

As said in a previous statement...it needs to be monitored and done without the intention of ruining someone's knees.

I gotta agree with Hoss on cut blocks. I've seem them used by very good lineman so its not just a desperation move by weaker blockers. They are effective at creating piles on a team who likes to blitz.

yep, not to mention a good cut block will slow down an overanxious D tackle and make him think about it every play is this the play he's gonna cut....that brief moment of hesitation can be the difference between opening a big hole for the back or no gain! I think if anything the rules on cutting should be loosened...it's just part of the game.

Of course as O-Linemen you are going to defend it and that is expected because it is a valuable technique. If you read my post I said it can be effective if used properly but more often than not it is used properly at this level by most o-linemen because as Mr.99 said you are being bullrushed or you have a D-LINEMAN that is beating a guy off the ball with some skill. Last week after the chop was call a few playes later the guy tried to cut block and as put my hands out to shed he grabbed my right leg and my other "55" further south and that hurt. So yes if you know how I have never taken issue to the move and I have stated that repeatedly but most of the time a guy is getting beat or is using it to take a guy out for some time and that is why I take issue to the move being used. Heck you people hold 99.9% of the time any way and the other .1% your holding hands in your huddles. LOL!

Hey Prince it's football and yeah oline hold and cut block and wide outs push off and D-linemen jump snap counts and running backs run to wrong hole and linebackers face mask. If you want easy and fair go shopping.

I was just reading the posts and I understand both sides but as a D-Lineman it is a dangerous move especially if used by someone who doesn't know what he is doing.Like #92 on the Pirates I was blowing right by him so he was cut blockin but not strait up he'd wait till a time like when I was tied up with the center then go at my knees.That is someone who doesn't know who it should be used that is someone trying to end a career.Alot of us have families to take care of and that should be thought of before you just try and injure someone.But for Generals O-Line not taking anything away from them I've played against them and there all pretty strait up guys that know when and who the cut block should be used.Best of luck to you guys rest of the season.

sorry spell check.They know when and how it should be used

I think this subject has gotten too much attention already. Let's move on... The topic was about our line's ability to block, and I'm gonna vouche for our line's abilities myself. I am COMFORTABLE taking snaps behind our line, and that's alot to say for a guy who joined the team 3 weeks before the first game, and hadn't played QB in 7 years... Just be patient till I recover from my injury...

I am totally new to the O-line of the Generals. They got a lot of good guys playing the line for them. I just hope I can help them out. They do very well.

If you are new to the generals team then you must have been in at least the 3rd game of the season on tape in order to make you a legal player... not tryin to bust keep you from playin just wanting to make sure that the rules are being followed according to the league rules.

92 is new to the Generals this year and did in fact play in one of the first three games! so thank you for you're concern and diligence in holding true to the league rules and policies but he is legal and so is everyone else on our team!

Here is a question more for Hoss (since he seems to know his stuff), one ref had told me that you cant go into shotgun and still cut block because the ball is out of the box. Ever heard that?

Hahaha, yup refs told me that before too...just gotta get a copy of the rule book and try to argue your point before the game. The reason the refs said that was because the ball was out of the "box".

Crazyness...

Wow Gen52 the shopping remark was special. I thank you for putting me in my place! So while i'm out shopping maybe somehting pink & pretty to reward you for standing up to the BIG BAD D-LINEMAN. Maybe you protest because you are one of the many that have to resort to using it the wrong way to keep from getting your lunch taken on every snap. Now would you like your reward to button down the back for those special occassions or snap between your legs for easy access?
Peace Big Fella!!! LOL!!!

oh fallen prince you got me so good you come on here and bang on o-line and then get mad when we tell you to pound sound. Good luck prince with the rest of your season and hopefully your word has spread and no one cut blocks ever again.

Why THANK YOU Gen52! While other men are happy with being trend setters and BLAH BLAH BLAH guys it is my mission to be a MOVEMENT! So just maybe I and I alone can restore some order to this organized game where GODS & DEMONS play called football. See yah around MR. GENERAL 52!

"It is my mission to be in a movement, a bowel movement!"