supaheader

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Riot Fail To Make It To Evansville

For whatever reason, the Riot did not come to Evansville this evening.

Our team president made several phone call and e-mail attempts to the Riot. None of these were returned. It wasn't until 6:45 central time (15 minutes prior to the scheduled kickoff) that WE were able to get ahold of a Riot representative who informed us that they would not be finishing the season.

This is the second time that a team has not made the trip to Evansville this year. It is also the second time this year that we were not informed until gameday.

Putting our games together costs money. Much of that money can not be refunded if something like this happens. Not to mention the gate money that our organization loses...which as a first year team is vital to our survival.

I'm pretty sure that a team can figure out more than 8 hours in advance(let alone 15 minutes) of a game that they will not be coming.

The courtesy of a phone call or e-mail is NOT too much ask in a situation like this. Our e-mail is on the league website and we can be contacted through our own website if necessary.

It is not a fun experience to inform fans, family members, and groundskeepers that their won't be a game with such little notice.

To the rest of the teams on our schedule: We will be making efforts to contact you throught the week of our upcoming games. If you do not return these attempts, your game will be likely be rescheduled or cancelled. So don't act surprised if you show up and there are already two teams on the field.

Too much time, effort, and money has been spent on our part in preperation for these events and we will no longer tolerate unprofessionalism on any organization's part.

Re: Riot Fail To Make It To Evansville

I think they have a point. No wonder teams have a hard time succeeding in Minor League Ball... It's people like the Riot who screw it up for everybody. I hope future teams read this carefully. Bearcats aren't taking it easy on you all on and off the field. Teams, get yourselves together!

Additionally,

If they would have called the Bearcats organization before game day, the Tri-State Titans could have used the field tonight instead of having to play our Playoff Game on Sunday at 4pm. So, they kind of screwed us too! It is another example of the "Semi" part of Semi-Pro football at work!

I hope they are fined by the league so that you can recover some of your costs!!!

the riot are not done. the riot will definitly be playing the rest of this year.
dont know what happend with the no calling thing, but not even 10 guys could make it to evansville

The Pirates will be there for the last game of the regular season vs the bearcats. If anyone knows of a connection to get a bus for CHEAP please forward me the information.

Well riot, how are you going to finish a season if you only have 10 committed guys? It doesn't make since at all. When the bearcats came to play, you only had 1 true lineman and you were bringing fans in off the sidelines for either injured players and your fans were playing in KHAKI SHORTS! I say if you are staying together as a team, pay up to the opposing team who you were to play last night. Don't say you folded and then now say you are far from done. You don't even have the guys to play during playoffs then.

To the Titans of Evansville, it would have been nice for you guys to play last night instead of today due to whether conditions and church. Good luck to you today and represent Evansville!

Word has it that the Riot planned this little incident to help fold a team that hasn't played at home and to make no income for their team. What do they have to lose? They are 0-6 now. Haven't won a game and yet continue to lose. Well Riot, if you couldn't even have 10 guys to come play in the Evansville game, why are you even playing football for? It's teams like you the reason why this league is the way it it. You are a disgrace to football...

I totally agree with everything being said about the riot. Yes you are right that it is bullcrap that noone in charge of the riot decided to make a call or at least post on the message board if anything else. It makes randolph county look bad and it makes all the riot players look bad.
I for one, could not make this game because of personal commitments, and that was decided back in june. Other players on the riot were on board to make the trip with even just 11 players. and i assume 11 guys were not gonna make the trip so they decided to cancel, but I have no clue why it was not relayed to you guys. On behalf of myself and other riot players I sincerely apologize for the major inconvience.
Also, I dont know who said we were not finishing the season, but I plan on being at every last game we have and i know i can bring at least 10 others with me.
I am not on the team commitee, i do not know all the details from within. I learned the situation when i read this post. So i will look further into the situation to find out what happend.
again sorry for this major mishaps.

If u assume 11 guys was the reason the Riot did not show up how can u say u will be at every last game and get 10 others 2 come with u that is only 11.Get ur acts 2-gether an quit makin the league look bad.I hope u can get it 2-gether cause I look forward 2 playin against u all.gl

Response to SemiProFanMan :

I'll say i am disapointed to heard this news as I know how hard it is to host a home game and how much work goes into it, but to say they are a disgrace to football is flat out wrong.

People are seeming to forget that the Riot team was created late last spring from a core group of players from an old IFL team that disbanded last year. They have done everything they can to play football including taking on the mental and financial stress of starting a team. Add this to the physical stress of playing football and you have to ask yourself why you do this.

Answer: For the love of the game and the chance to continue to play.

I wish the Riot the best of luck and hope to see you all in two weeks at our next game.

Riot,

To get on here and say you are not done only makes it worse. If the MFL allows you to play on without paying $$$ in the form of a fine or a donation to the Bearcats field and officials fund, they are a joke as well! It is hard enough to find both a field and officials now that High School and Colleges have started back up in the area. Well, I am off to go play and win a Playoff game in the heat.

I will be interested to find out how the MFL League addresses this and other issues going forward.

It seems to me it is time that several of the teams sit down and start something new in Indiana like the teams are already discussing doing in Ohio for 2009 on other forums.....

Its people like us that make football like this look bad. I wanna know who bearcat47 talked to but i didnt get a call from the bearcats til 8:30 our time. and i called earl at 1:00 pm that day to find out who to call cuz i had no phone number to cancel the game. earl finally called me back at 10:30 last night a little late. as for my team being comitted u have no clue about it becuase of the wildcats having to reschedule we lost our by we over laber day weekend and my guys are nursing a lot of injuries most of them were to my oline men. we are not folding just becuase we missed one game. and i can't be blamed for a fall out in communication. and as for emailing i'm using a friends computer now becuase of my computer being in the shop.

Justin Henry
Owner RC Riot

Riot 4, are you getting a attitude with Bearcat47 when yall are the ones who didnt get ahold of them? I just went to there website and found a phone number. It took 30 seconds to find it. Just looking on here I found Bearcat47 and the Bearcat owners email addresses. I agree with Cook, you should be penalized. Thats the reason your league lost teams last year. As far as you giving up your bye week, I am sure the other team gave you notice before canceling the game, which you did not do. And how can you go and say you cant be blamed for a fall out of communication when you never even communicated it to the Bearcats. Like I said, there is a phone number on there website and you could have emailed them but you didnt! You as the owner should have admited full responsiblity, but you say you shouldnt be blamed. Sounds like a real solid organization to me......

If the MFL plans on staying together and keeping respectable teams they need to set a precedent and kick the Riot out of the league they do not pay a huge fine. If you allow teams to continue to cancel, especially on short notice, it costs other committed teams like the Bearcats lots of money. The Bearcats lost the cost it took to rent the field, the amount they would have made in ticket sales, and they have lost part of their fan base because this is the second time they have had fans show up only to find out that the other team didn't show up. I am not a part of the Bearcat ownership, but if the Riot are allowed to play again without penalty then I would suggest the team not have anything to do with this pushover of a league.

I would like to apologize for what has happened. I was told on Friday at 7:30p.m. that we werent going and i assumed that our owner informed the bearcats of that. its something so simple that could have avoided it looking so bad. So i want to apologize for not sending a simple email to say we werent coming, but im no longer on the Riot Commitee and thought that the owner would have been able to do that. im sure he had a good reason he couldnt get ahold of you, but I should have taken some intiative to do it myself and I apologize.

Also I just want to say that I know we havent won a game and we arent the richest team but i do know that we have a few guys that just love to play football are committed to helping us get better, even though I would like to see more of them, the ones that are committed could easily go elsewhere and start but i just want to thank them for sticking it out.

ok Bearcats whats done is done...please dont let this dawn on you guys going into next week. Which to me will be the MFL game of the week. prepare yourselves because you guys will have the toughest game to date when you guys visit the Stampede...so to both teams g/l you guys...

I would just like to make a brief interjection here. To the extent that a League does anything, it should establish clear and detailed rules for this kind of situation. There should be no confusion on anyone's part about what to do or who to contact, and everyone listed as the team contact should take it upon himself to make sure everyone is in the know.

It's happened a good deal in several leagues these last several years, and it should simply not be tolerated. At the league level, the rules should be clear and the penalty should be well established in order to incentivize responsible behavior and to penalize negligence. A failure to clearly establish the protocol in these circumstances- or for that matter resolve conflicts over contentious issues- is the failure first and foremost of the League. It is not as if this has never happened before- in fact, quite the opposite. When it does happen, it is a black eye not just for the host, but for the entire league and to a small extent minor league football as a whole.

Justin Henry you make me sick. Riot 13 said on here that he knew Friday night at 7:30pm. If you all would have called the Bearcats at that time, we could have had the field on Saturday night instead and not have had to play our playoff game on Sunday. So, your ignorance has caused financial pain for two organizations. I hope you are fined by your league if not kicked out no matter what sad story you get on here and type. I wish there was a way that I could suit up against your sorry squad and beat some sense into your organization as a whole!!!

If you watch and read this board regularly you will notice that year after year there always seems to be the posts regarding the Midwest Football League and this year is no different. The league always starts out fresh but by the sixth week there are numerous cancelled games and teams that fail to show up for games. Ther have more than one game that was a forfiet this year in this league.
Last year there was the officials that were always 30 to 45 minutes late for the game and then the play-off seeding that was also a joke and a set up. The Patriots are the league favorites and they get all the breaks and the President of league goese along with this up to and including allowing the Patriots to close the visiters side of the field for play-off games, and having the Championship trophy sitting on the Patriots sideline during the Championship game with the Dragons.
I find it so amusing that the MFL lost the Shamrock, Dragons and the Cutters this year. The Cutters even sent a letter to the league asking that certain problems be addressed and even that fell on deaf ears.
I'm a football fan plain and simple and I love watching games at this level but when you drive to see a game and then upon arrival find out some team didn't show up you wonder why in the world their league doesn't penalize them. Any team that fails to show for a game should be suspended and that is just how I feel. I also agree with the recent post that the home team should take legal action to recover their losses, the team that was a no-show should have to pay damages to the home team. This is why there is such a stigma connected with semi-pro football.

You are correct that the MFL has a few forfiets this season, but the IFL has one also. In the past it is normaly MFL teams folding, this year it was the IFL teams folding. From what has been said in a earlier post the Riot are from a former IFL team. Niether league is without its faults and you cant point at one and not the other. Each will have its pros and cons so the only thing you can do is worry about the league you are in and come the end of the season, if you are not happy anymore, move to a different league.

If this issue is not addressed soon, I would think it is safe to say that a certain team from Evansville will not be in the MFL next season. I feel sorry for my friends on the Bearcats who have had to put up with this. Additionally, I feel for their sponsors and fans now that they have had two home games taken from them in a less than professional manner. At what point can there be legal action against the league itself???

This issue is being solved within our league. There is a reasonable solution that has been presented to us. I will not comment on what is going on. I am going to keep thuis within the league.

Well, it is good to see some action. However, I still think it is time that all the Indiana teams have a serious discussion about a starting a new league like what is going to take place in Ohio in 2009 based upon what I have heard and read about on other boards....

Chris legal action is not that hard to take, in fact should a team ever take legal action and hold someone accountable for a no show then you would see teams show up no matter what due to the fact they know they will pay in the end.
I believe a fan could take legal action for expenses incured to travel to a game if that game is cancelled by a team forfieting and not showing up without any notice.
The Bearcats are just in a bad situation and it will only get worse as the year goes on and don't expect anything from the league President on this he has the teams momey and thats all that matters.
Unfortunatly the Bearcats are in a league that only has a couple teams that are valid contenders for the tile and when the smaller teams don't want to go play at a site that is a three hour drive they just forfiet the game and move on. This is called back yard football and leaves a bad taste in everyones mouth.

get over it... you are not the only team this has ever happend to. whine and complain all you want, but its done and over with. we have all seen this before and alot of us has had this happen us before. it sucks yes for many reasons, but this is why its semi pro football and not pro football.

To whoever 'get over it' is:

I am the only member of the Bearcats that has posted on this thread. It was one post and it stated what our teams' response will be. You should try paying attention and thinking carefully what you type. I give little acknowledgement to someone who makes ignorant, unresearched statements such as yours. Especially when said person is unwilling to identify him/herself.

Our league is addressing this matter and I consider it to be finished.

In any case, if I want to complain, I will. When something like this is done to your team, let me know so I can see how you react.

I for one will not be a member of any semi-pro team that just lets something like this go. It invites others to do the same. It would also be a very poor financial decision, and unless you are just rolling in cash, you won't just let something like this go either.

I for one feel personally responsible as a member of my team(not to mention as an adult in general) to alert another organization to a major change in plans. It would be irresponsible and borderline dishonest to do something like that without a proper, timely warning.

However you may choose any ignorant or ill-advised course of action you want to deal with matters involving your team.

In conclusion, I choose to exercise my 1st ammendment right to b1tch as much as I want and to tell you to promptly kiss my @ss.

Well said, I second.

There are several people posting on here saying that the Riot should be fined or taken to court for legal action and pay for revenue lost. I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you can huff and puff all you want and you will get nothing. This team doesn't have the financial means to transport its team to the location to play the game. They are bring guys in off the street and do not have uniforms. So how exactly is the league going to fine them and where is it written in the league by laws? Second taking them to court is one of the most ridiculous statements I have seen. Who are you going to sue? The organization? Have they identified themselves as a corporation (a legal independent entity) in the state? If not, are you going to sue the individual players? How do you prove their involvement? In any case I doubt there is any binding contract that specifically states that any team has a legal responsibility to show up to any game. Lets be honest this isn’t the NFL and unfortunately these are the breaks at this level of football. Like Supafan said there needs to be a written contract signed by all teams at the start of the season to avoid these issues and at least have the "threat" of legal action should a team not inform the other team in a timely matter. Paperwork with contact information needs to be handed out at the beginning of the season to owners responsible for each organization. There should be a formal legal process to go through should they leave and someone else take over since legal action may be taken against them. As I am typing this it seems that each organization needs its own lawyer as well as the league. OR each team can man up, honor his word, and realize what they are costing each team when they do not show up. I think the Riot should be allowed to continue to play and get their respective a@@es handed to them for the rest of the season. Perhaps this will help them decide how they want to proceed next year.

A warning to all teams! The number one reason you will fold is because you lose your playing field. This is a classic example of how this may happen. This was a tremendous cost to the Bearcats, their fan base, their face in the community, and their ability to operate this season and upcoming seasons. Be mindful of your leagues and how they handle issues like this one among others.

From the Inidana SOS Website:

Name Searched On:
MIDWEST FOOTBALL LEAGUE (Legal)

Current Information
Entity Legal Name:
MIDWEST FOOTBALL LEAGUE (INCORPORATED) (NFD)
Entity Address:
236 GALE ST., MUNCIE, IN 47307
General Entity Information:
Control Number: 2002031200090
Entity Type: Non-Profit Domestic Corporation

Entity Creation Date: 3/11/2002
Entity Date to Expire:
Entity Inactive Date: 2/17/2005

Good luck with that. They are a not for profit organization. They don't have anything to sue for. The best you could hope for is to kill the league.

We have no intentions of taking legal action against anyone. What would that prove? We would have to pay legal fees, for what a couple hundred bucks tops. I am more angry about not receiving a call letting me know that they were not coming. As far as I am concerned this has been handled and is a dead issue. This will be handled within the MFL from here on out.

Why are you pushing the issue so badly Cooke you just need to worry about your own teams business, if you read the thread you'd see that Henry cleary says he no longer has a computer to get on and find the info needed to get ahold of the Bearcats, he had done everything he could to contact them, and it will not break anyones heart if a certain team from "Evansville" doesn't want to play in the MFL next year. As far as there being a commitment issue, there isn't one not everyone can afford a team bus and ride down together, so with Evansville being so far a lot of our guys felt it would be best to heal up. Remember its SEMIPRO everyone still has to go into work come Monday and make a living for themselves, so the best thing you could do is the same.

RCR77 I THINK YOU DONT WANT THE EVANSVILLE TEAM "BEARCATS" IN THE MFL NEXT YEAR BECOUSE THEY R KICKING EVERYONES @$$

He should have made a better attemt to get to a computer with what was at stake for the Bearcats. And I think you meant to say the MFL would be better off without the Riot.

Hey rcr77, if you read the post you would see Mr. Cook clearly said they use the same field the Bearcats play on. Hense it being a his business, when they could have used the field instead. If the owners computer is broke, why didnt he go to the one he used to make the post on here? or use yours? or had you do it? He definately didnt do everything he could. I would say the league should let you finish this year and not allow you back afterwards. In fact, wasnt there issues with the former Randolph County team?

I posted what I did to show that the League appeared to let their info expire with the S.O.S's office a few years back. I have refrained from additional comment on here after Jake said that the league was taking care of the issue. Andy is right, it became our business as well since we had to use that field for our Playoff game. I am glad RCR #77 spoke on going to work on Monday since it was real nice going in that day after our Playoff game was played at 4pm on Sunday. Just because it is Semi Pro does not mean one is not any less accountable for their actions. If you or someone would have picked up the phone and called from the Bearcats on Friday, we could have used the field on Saturday night. A computer being down is no excuse for ignorance. It is a dead issue going forward like Jake posted earlier.

whether or not it makes a difference i have apologized to the league, the comish, and the bearcats yes i was wrong for how i handle the situation and there is no excuse for my actions but please do not take it out on my team i am to blame and i understand if the league will not allow me to be the voice of my team after this season. and i also apologize to my team for cuasing this unneeded destraction.

Justin Henry
Owner RC Riot