supaheader

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Football is a TEAM Sport

Ok something that I have noticed recently on this board is how there seem to be a bunch of posts asking...

Who are the best linebackers in the IFL
Who is the best DE in the MFL
MFL's Most Talented
Top 5 Receivers in the IFL
Top 5 Receivers and Tailbacks in the South Division
Who are the best Corners in the Southern Division
Top 5 Runningbacks in the IFL
So if we had an All-Star game who are some of the top players from the MFL.
Who are some top receivers in the MFL
The best D'Back
Top Fullbacks in the MFL
ETC...

Anyone else noticing a pattern lately on this board? Is it me or are alot of people trying to find ways to stroke their own egos on this board. Instead why don't people give more details as far as what happened in the games like Supa is asking for in his weekly post and let the stats from the game tell the story.

Or better yet how about everyone just PLAY THE DAMN GAME! I donno about anyone else but you can have all the accolades in the world but I don't mean jack S^&% unless you have that trophy in your possession at the end of the season. Case in point Dan Marino and Jim Kelly. I'd bet they'd trade all their records and Pro Bowl appearances to have what Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson possess.... a Super Bowl ring.

My two cents...

Dave Clawson

Re: Football is a TEAM Sport

Kudos. I totally agree...

Undertaker,

Well said man. I'm absolutely glad to see that there are others out there in Supaland almost aching for some relevant discourse as Supa might say.

More than once I have asked myself if 'somehow' my perspective about the board has changed since being on "the outside". Inevitably, I come to the conclusion that I do not believe so.

Similarly to what you stated, it seems that most comments and posts ultimately appear as though there are way too many 'anonymous children capable of growing beards' seeking to have their egos stroked.

IMO, some of this behavior is no doubt born of the 'every child deserves a freaking trophy mentality' that has permeated the majority of youth sports these days. Use to be, a Little League would have "ONE" All-Star team. Now days, you see leagues with an "A", "B" and sometimes even a "C" team.

This is all very lame. Unless you are playing on Sundays in front of 55,000 plus folks... it ain't that deep.

Honestly all I want is the IFL trophy I would like to end my career with the trophy with my coachs name on it. I don't care about a ring. But i do want a ship. And I told my team mates the other day 1 man can't take on 11 by himself no matter how good he is. So keep that in mind. Your nothing with out the 10 other guys.

I will be very short and just add my voice to the choir here. I'm not completely opposed to individual recognition, but it is clear to me that the preponderance of posts of this kind are at the very least a symptom of a deeper disease.

Dane knows well of what is possible when athletes put team goals above individual achievement. It's too bad that most readers and posters here will never know the kind of hard earned and well deserved success that sacrifice and collective interest can bring. If you want to see a fistfull of championship rings that are the product of this kind of ethic, I am sure the HBC will sell tickets.

Thanks for so eloquently pointing this out, Dave.

Want to know what I see a lot on these boards? Lots of misspellings and poor grammar. I'll read 100 posts about who's the best ROLB in the Northern Division if I don't have to read about:

"toledo no disrespect to the pats im sure u all work ur asses off but if the championship meant more u would have not took the time to make ur list so ur a runningback well im a D-Tackle and I cant wait to show u all them awards dont mean shit when ur on the other side of the ball from me.gl stay healthy I want to see what u guys are all about cause we will play somewhere down the line.I or my team dont take any team lightly we will be ready to beat the best to be the best."

There's only one period in that paragraph. What's worse is a person who types a great post and then ruins it with an almost-profanity like "jack S^&%".

I wish we could really grasp the TEAM concept. I was thinking yesterday morning about high school wrestling which i also help Coach. If you lose you can not blame your team mates and if others on the team are winning you cant blame the coaches. Also in some cases the High School wrestler acts more mature.
I go out and give it my best. I hit i get hit. If I knock you down when the plays is over i will help you up. If you knock me down whether you help me up I will get back up and get ready for the next play. No one is paying me to play. I play because I love the Game. I was in a training about axles once amazingly the guy said the axle is only as strong as its weakest component. The Day i see the PERFECT PLAYER on a Semi pro Team I will tip my hat to him and say why are you not playing for the NFL. Ok I will get off my soap box now. IN 78 I played Flag Football I wish I could of played in a league like this back then. I still have memories of teammates who I still consider friends today even though I do not see them.
Play the game because you love it. Love the Game because you can play it

Hey Coach Carter which high school do coach wrestling at?

I coach here in Evansville at Reitz, and I have to say it's quite a contrast going between the two sports. Being a wrestler, I'm use to everything being on my shoulders, and winning being 100% in my hands. In football, many times all I can do is hand the ball off and hope things go well, or throw the ball to a reciever and hope that he catches it. I think it's great for kids to experience both though. On one hand wrestling teaches to be more independent and be accountable for your own actions, while football teaches you that at other times you have to place faith in other people.

I do remember reading a quote one time from Olympic wrestler Bruce Baumgartner on why he chose Wrestling over football. He said, "I don't want to lose the biggest event of my life because the guy next to me had a bad day"

I think what coach meant is that he wishs that football players were more mature and responsible for themselves and not worry about the guy next to you because the more you tell somebody they are doing something wrong the more they will do wrong. And also when you are doing wrong yourself you really have no room to tell someone else how to do there job. Handle your own business until the responsibility is given to you to worry about others. And that is when a owner or coach comes up to you and asks you. Not when you decide to take it upon yourself. I would like to add that even though coach carter is one of my coachs I understand where he is coming from. When I was asked to help coach and people were taking it upon themselves to do what they wanted it pissed me off. I can talk about my personal achievments but truth is that was yesterday not today or tomorrow. So take example and like i say you can't win on your own. I remember a QB that told some people he was the best player on the team and is was pretty funny watching his oline let all the dline go past them to prove a point.

So man up the people that need to take care of business for the team will. Do your job and play your position and no one elses. Just be happy your not in a wheel chair with a broken neck.

I hope this clears things up for you. And i am gonna keep going to post stuff like this until that switch in some of Rocks heads click on.

I help at Jimtown. Bruce could not of said it better.
They both teach you things about life. Wresting how to succeed on your own and football how to suceed with your co workers. I have been assisting for 10 years there. I have said as long as the kids keep asking me to come back I will.

G-Rod You must have the gift of interpretation. LOL pretty much what i meant.

Thanks Coach Carter

Dave, we all know you're upset cuz no one has yet started a thread about kickers. (sorry my guy, had to do it, much love tho)

Hey Corey hope all is well in the Fort. I think you know me better than that. I just go out there, do my job and get off the field (and if I'm lucky I get to knock a few people around every so often).

Hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable Labor Day weekend.

Dave Clawson

While he may be just a kicker, he at least has cahones enough to use his real name and not some anonymous post.
Brian Clawson
Kicker/Punter
WWJD

Heres a scenario championship game 5 seconds left in the 4th ur down by 2 field goal would win on the 15 yard line would anyone run or pass only if ur kicker is trash kickers are very important to the game I think that is enough said

I can speak for all the kickers when I say that every team loves to have a kicker that is both accurate, reliable. I am lucky to have played with ( in my opinion) two of the NOT just best kickers, but best team players in the Clawson brothers.

These two not only love the game, they love what the game is about. They are both complete players and leaders. Not to mention extremely accurate in punting AND kicking.

As for the the game itself related to kickers..after you score - ask your defense if they'd rather have the opposing offense starting at the 20 instead of the 40.

I know we arent on this post to boast, but I had to speak on behalf of these two, and overall kicking game.

And by the way, the all important game we, as Generals lost to the Broncos last year that decided home field advantage for the playoffs was made final by a 40 yd field goal (lil Guru)

Hendricks

last time I checked kickers put on the same pads as the rest of you..nice reality check dumbass. Pretty sure you have to have a kicker to get the game started, and continue throughout the game. Nice call *I hate kickers* good name, why dont you let your gf talk for you next time, she might sound tougher. Kickers are football players. Period. They are football players who happen to be able to kick.

Must be a kicker..

Dave and Brian are good football players. Also they make great teammates....

Dave is a great player and is hard as nails. I know he has saved our butts a few times last year. Whether it was with his foot, or making a tackle on ST. I am sure the team that Mr. "I Hate Kickers" plays for, doesn't need a kicker, not even to start the game off, punt the ball down the field and give your defense great field position when your offense failed to move the ball, or make an extra point or field goal when your offense can't get the ball in. Face it Mr. "I Hate Kickers", we couldn't even start a game without a kicker, unless you play for some little leauge team (I think they that just spot the ball on the 20 yard line for you, I'm sure you know). All I know is that Dave would blasted you without backing down or thinking twice about it. So, hate him if you want, but you don't want to try him. Post your real name, number, and team so he can kick it to you and let's see what will happen. I would love to see you get pancaked by a kicker.

The Stampede dont need a kicker. We will give you the ball on our 20 and let our defense push you back to your 20.

I have to bring up our game against the Shamrock since people want to try and bash our kicker.
After a punt, from our amazing kicker/punter, the returner looked to be breaking away for a touchdown when OUR PUNTER knocked that guy into next week with a bone crushing tackle. That's a real football player! Not "just a kicker."

I always like to line up in the middle of the front row on kick returns and go straight for the kicker. Maybe that is why a kicker has never made a tackle on one of our good returns.

Whitaker is a kicker a DB a runningback hes an all arund player like alot of us in the league unlike urself I hate kickers U must have got knocked out by one before or he screwed u out of ur first TD of ur life or maybe he screwed ur mom or ur woman hey that might have been Whitt ha ha.

And by the the way whoever posted as Stampede Iknow we have a good D but be realistic put ur name cause u do not speek 4 the whole team that may be ur opinion but keep it to urself u sound like an idiot and it is a negative statement we dont need that it is not what we as a team are about it is a team effort all the way and did u not catch last week when it was Whitt our starting kicker that got the first INT 4 our D in the game.

If you really have better things to do, then go do them and shutup. Spending all your time on this message board and then getting crazy because someone is making fun of your typing skills is kind of retarded. Quit crying. Oh, and Dave Clawson is a hell of a FOOTBALL PLAYER.

WHITTAKER

Not the "I make more than you talk". What does that even accomplish? Never knock a quality education, thats the one thing that will keep this country afloat. And statisticaly, a higher education usualy means more money.

let it be known that Whittaker is different from me, Dave Clawson is a helluva FOOTBALL PLAYER, I agree.

i will tell u about a good kicker she plays for the blitz i have hardly yet to see her miss u get props girl u earned it i have seen u get hit take tough situations and keep ticking u r something else