supaheader

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MFL Refs

First of all, I want to make clear that I don't want to bash penalty calling of the MFL Refs because most of the time those can be judgement calls that vary from ref to ref. However, I do have a problem with the professionalism of the league refs. Off hand, every game that I can remember using league refs they showed up late. In some cases, they even showed up over a hour late! Then in the championship game, with about 40 seconds left, the Bearcats recovered a fumble at midfield with hopes of scoring a quick touchdown and recovering the onside kick. After the fumble, a slight tussle broke out between teams. Rather than just assessing personal fouls to the guilty parties the refs said, "Game Over". I realize that the chances of a Bearcat comeback was miniscule at best, but stranger things have happend. And, I can understand calling the game if they fear for the safety of themselves or players, but at the time of the game being called both teams were shaking hands in a friendly manner. In reality, I think this may have been a case of the refs wanting to show up late and leave early.

In the short amount of time I was able to talk to these refs, they were great guys as far as I could tell. However, I believe moving forward for this league there could be other refs available that are more committed and professional.

Re: MFL Refs

It's called the EARL factor!

Who were the refs at that game?

I am going to try something new to this board, its called a pro-active discussion.

This is NOT THE TIME OR PLACE to post a hate earl or hate MFL line. There are plenty of others threads on this site to satisfied your needs.

I have had an issue with the refs this year as well. I will not use that as a reason why we did not go to the championship, there are plenly of other reason for that.

But what I WANT TO DO IS TALK ABOUT HOW OTHER LEAGUES select, run, manage, and pay their refs so I can bring this information back to the MFL board for discussion on how to fix the problem.

Please answer any or all of the questions.

1) How do you select your ref crews, does the league or the home team provide them

2) Who oversees them

3) How do they know what the rules of the league

4) How much do you pay them, are their penalties for not showing up, being late, or do they receive pay even during a forfeit? Do you provide gas money on top of game pay?

Please any bit of information would be helpful right now. Thanks

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE PROCESS OF PICKING THE REFS FOR A GAME AS WELL. I KNOW THAT IN OUR GAME BETWEEN THE BEARCATS THERE WERE 5 REFS THERE AND NOT ONE WAS OVER THE AGE OF 24. THEY ALSO DISCLOSED THAT THEY REF SCHOOL BALL THERE AT THE HIGHSCHOOLS. NOW I'M NOT SAYING THAT WE LOST THE GAME BECAUSE OF THE REFS, BECAUSE THERE ARE A FEW THINGS WE COULD HAVE DONE BETTER AS A TEAM, WHAT I AM SAYING IS THAT THERE WERE A FEW QUESTIONABLE CALLS, BALL SPOTTING AS WELL AS HUGGING AND KISS THE GIRLS THAT WERE IN THE BEARCATS STANDS AFTER THE GAME. THERE WAS EVEN ONE REF THAT WAS IN THEIR CELEBRATION HUDDLE. I BELIEVE THAT THERE HAS TO BE SOME KIND OF STANDARD IN THE MFL OR YOU'RE GOING TO GET TEAMS DOING THIS KIND OF THING ALL THE TIME.

My understanding is the MFL pays a person to be head of officials. He is in charge of the hiring, firing, rules and distribution of officials to the games. From what Ive been told, that head of officials is Mike Panel.

I have a complaint. Big guy with the bifocals is the worst fucking referee in the world. Dude is biased and unfair. Makes up calls and throws games. Complete asshole too. And yes ALWAYS LATE.

I understand the current MFL process of refs and ect., what i am looking for is how other leagues work. If there are other ways we can go about it.

I wasnt at the playoff game against the bearcats I had to do a weekend in jail ordered by the court but I did see film on it Ive never seen any of the refs that was at that game i saw at least 5 bullshit calls I saw the bearcats get 2 4th downs cause they never changed it from 3rd down to 4th down after a stampede stop so Id say even with the mistakes the stampede made if it wasnt for the evansville refs the outcome would have been different out of all the mfl refs they had 2 good ones all year and for the head ref aka bifocals couldnt ref pee wee let alone semi pro

Been refraining from posting on anything here or anywhere else because it's been a long damn season and I needed a break. However, I was at the championship game and I do have some comments on this.

First, I've been in the MFL for 3 years. This, by far, was a better season for officiating than I have seen the last 2 seasons. However, there's always room for improvement. Our home games were actually officated very fairly for the most part. And all of our away games with the exception of one were pretty decent. One thing I noticed is that if one team is losing and it's late in the 4th quarter, the refs don't call any penalties. It's like they just want to get the game over with so they can go home. That has to change.

As far as the championship game, there were 6 refs there. Five of them were the crew from around Indy and then Mike Pannell, the head of officials, was there too. That crew of 5 is the worst crew in the league. The white hat was Steve (can't think of his last name) who was the head of officials last year and he's horrible. When I was on the Sting last year he "forgot" to schedule officials for our game against the Shamrock. Luckily, Wayne and some of his guys had a bye week and came to watch the game and officiated the game for us. So in my opinion that guy has no business being an official.

Now I have to say that the Patriots beat the Bearcats. The officials did not affect the outcome of the game as it was. However, there were some really bad calls. The 5 of us Wolverines that were at the game were standing on the Bearcats side (not rooting for either team, but we were closer to the field) and we began screaming about bad calls as much as the Bearcats were because they WERE bad calls. Before anyone says anything about the refs being for the Patriots, I have to say that wasn't the case. I've been on the field with those refs and they're just that bad. Earl was at the game and knows me pretty well and he knows I don't just spout off but I tracked him down and told him exactly what I thought of those officials being at the championship game. It was a bad choice. As far as the other crews in the league, to be honest, I really don't have much bad to say. Calls get missed. As I said, it's been better than before. But the worst crew in the league officiated the championship and I can't blame anyone for having a bad taste in their mouth because of it.

Bill Bosworth
East Central Wolverines

I will say that there were quite a few missed calls on both sides during the championship game. Do I think it affected the outcome of the game? No.

But I do believe that to an outside obserever it would make our league, the officials, and both teams look very very amature.

I'm also not a fan of having to hire refs from the Evansville area. But we had to do it because we were never certain that a crew would even show up. And when they did, they were escessively late. I understand that it's a long trip, but they have plenty of time to prepare.

I for one don't know if I want to play in a game with the crew of officials that we had last weekend. It seemed like they called every other game we played and they weren't very good.