Welcome to
Aimee's Adventures
Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Today's WI 6/29/08

I ask forgiveness ahead of time, but this will end up being a long post.

You may remember that last week I mentioned that my "at work" WW meetings were being disbanded due to lack of participation. I was very bummed about that, and still am. Since Tuesday is my WI day, I went to a neighboring town to the WW site. I only went to WI. I couldn't attend the meeting since my boys are with me until school starts. I also wanted to go there to find out what all I needed to do since I now have reached lifetime status. I didn't understand what all that meant.

Anyway, I'm at a dilemma as to what I want to do next and where I want to be. Let me give a quick background first.

I started WW in February weighing 174.8 lbs. and wore a size 16. Today I weigh 134.8 lbs. (40 lb. loss) and am wearing a size 10. My original goal was to lose 50 lbs., but right now, I'm not sure if I want to continue on that track or just try to maintain where I am. Right now, I am quite happy with how I look. I can't remember the last time I was able to say that. In a short time, I have spent a small fortune on clothes to wear to work due to the rapidly changing sizes. When I went down to a size 14 and bought all those pants, I never expected to lose the weight so quickly that I would need a 12 as fast as I did. So I bought 12's but quickly couldn't wear them either. I start school next week, so need size 10's to wear now. As nuts as it sounds, I'm really tired of replacing brand new clothes (or to be more specific spending money on them). I know I have seen mentioned on here to check Goodwill and consignments shops, but I haven't done that. I know I should. I did take my too big clothes to a consignment shop last week so maybe will be able to recoup some of the cost.

My dilemma and question to you is---am I just being lazy and not wanting to work on that last 10 lbs., or am I being realistic about just maintaining where I am right now? It has not been too difficult to stay where I'm at, but I'm not sure about how difficult it will be to lose even more points as I lose that last 10. I'm only a few lbs. away from dropping to 20 points. Maybe that's what I'm scared of.

Please be brutally honest with me and tell me what you think. I honestly don't know what I want my next move to be.

Cheryle

Re: Today's WI 6/29/08

Cheryle
I say do what you feel comfortable with.. if your at a comfort zone at the weight you are now, then go ahead and try to maintain it...

I've been on maintenance now for 1 yr 5 mo and i'm comfortable at the weight I am now of 145..
I really can't afford to lose any more weight, and I sure as heck, don't want to gain anything back..

Maintenace is very flexible...

Today's WI 6/29/08

Tobe, thank you for your advice. Right now, I'm very comfortable with the weight I'm at. I'm just afraid that I am using this as an excuse to not work hard at getting that last 10 off. At 5'4", according to the WW chart, my range is 117-145. At 134.8 I'm a good bit under the high end of the range. I am leaning towards just trying to maintain this level or a little under. After awhile of doing so, I think I may have a better feel of whether I really want to lose that last 10 lbs. or know that I'm fine where I'm at.

Cheryle

My goal is a comfortable size 10. Don't care what the number on the scale says just so long as it's a 10. If you are comfortable and are happy with the way you look right now and have done the program long enough that it's become a way of life for you then I think you might be ready for maintenance. You may continue to lose as others have anyway.

Do you know anyone that sews and could take in your clothing? I have done that on some items I bought, not everything, but some things. Ever thought of selling on Ebay? That's something I'm not into (selling), but maybe you could recoup some of your money by selling them online.

Just a suggestion.

today's WI 6/29/08

Carrie, thank you for your comments and suggestions. I do not know anyone who sews. I have taken all of my clothes that I can't wear anymore to a consignment shop. I'm hoping to recoup a little of the money I have spent recently on all of these clothes that I already can't wear. It certainly won't be what I paid for them, but every little bit helps.

Cheryle

How about taking some of your good outfits to a seamstress and have them altered.
I had to do that with an $80,00 pr of jeans.

it didn't cost that much, it was better than replacing them with a new pair..

I agree with the other ladies that you should feel free to do what is comfortable for you. If you feel good about how you look and are happyy with your current weight and size, why continue to lose? You are within a healthy weight range now, and the reason there is a "range" is so that folks of varying builds can have a healthy weight. There is no perfect weight for people that a chart can determine - you need to determine that for yourself.

I met my WW goal sometime back and continued over to maintenance. Then over time, I did continue to lose and I was okay with that. It was never a goal, it just happened. I am now 14 pounds under my WW goal and I am okay with that. It puts me on the very slim end for my height, but that suits my build.

So, if you want, give maintenance a whirl and see what you think. You can always go back to trying to lose if you want to, but it sounds like you are quite happy where you are. :)

As far as the clothes go, I feel your frustration. I buy all my clothes from thrift stores and get all LOT of hand me downs from Freecycle. I just got 2 bags of stuff yesterday and it was beautiful. Lots of shirts, capris, sweatshirts, and even several coats.

Congratulations to you on your hard work of losing that weight. We are proud of you! :)

Today's WI 6/29/08

Tobe, thank you for your comments and support. I truly appreciate it.

Tobe, it's too late for having the clothes altered. I have already taken them to a consignment shop. Wish I had thought of that before I took them in.

Uki, I really hadn't thought about the range being for different builds. That makes sense. I have a small frame, so I guess that means I should be lower end of the range, right? Darn, why am I making such a big deal about this?

I think for now I will just try to maintain where I am or a little under. I suspect in the end, I will decide to take off the last 10 lbs., but for now, I'm happy with how I look and where I'm at.

Cheryle

Hey Cheryle I'm in your same boat! I am at goal and want to really loose an extra 10 lbs but am finding it hard to really really want to do it (speaking in points terms). I think I've worked so hard for the last year that it's kind of nice to take the pressure off.

MY GOAL:

This is what I decided. I will work toward not having a gain. Either a maintain or loss. If I loose .2 per week then that's wonderfrul. I figure if I work on not gaining I may loose without stressing out about it.

I should be at 19 pts a day now to keep losing,
but being on Maintenance I upped it to 3 more points giving it 22 for the day.. If I use 22 and no more.
I have a slight loss each week, or else some
weeks stay the same, but no gains..

so you can slowly take off that extra 10 lbs without making yourself go crazy..

watch the carbs, sweets and continue to exercise...

That's great to know Tobe. I like the part about not making yourself go crazy That's what I was doing before I think.

today's WI 6/29/08

Thanks Lisa and Tobe. That's kind of what I'm thinking too. I'm not going to make myself crazy over these last 10 lbs. since I'm happy with where I am now. If a very small amount comes off each week or so just trying to maintain, I'm fine with that.

Cheryle