Welcome to
Aimee's Adventures
Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Crockpot mexican style chicken

Here's the chicken recipe I did the other night in the crock pot. So easy and really tasty. I didn't figure out the points - but can't be very high.

1 lb. skinless boneless chicken breasts
1 can black beans drained
1 can corn drained
1 jar salsa (16 oz) - I used pace picante sauce
1 (8 oz) block fat free cream cheese

Place chicken in bottom of crock pot. Layer in beans and corn. Pour salsa over all and cook on high about 5 hours. Open lid and shred chicken with 2 forks - it is really tender. Dollop ff cream cheese on top and cook another 1/2 hour. Stir and dinner is ready.

I had it with low point tortillas and some shredded lettuce and diced tomato on the side. It would be good over rice too.

I love crock pot meals now that school is in session again - it frees me up when the kids come home to see them and not be stuck in the kitchen.

Anyone have any other good recipes for the crock pot.
Marilyn

Re: Crockpot mexican style chicken

Marilyn,

This sounds delicious. I think our family would really enjoy it. Thank you for sharing.

2 of our faves are the crockpot rotisserie chicken:

Ball up 4 pieces of foil and place in bottom of crockpot. Rinse chicken with water and season liberally inside and out with seasoned salt. The last time I made this, I used a mesquite rub for chicken and it was delicious. Anyway, place chicken on the foil balls and cook all day on low. The meat will literally fall off the bones and be so juicy. MMMM

The other one Scott likes is Beef Tips in the crockpot. I buy 1 to 2 pounds of lean beef and cut it into chunks, but you could use precut stew beef just as easily. I put that in the crock, add 1 can on beef broth and cook on low all day long. I serve this over noodles with a can of mixed veggies mixed in as well. Simple, but good. This works well with chicken parts too - I use bone in pieces and 1 can of chicken broth and cook the same way. Then serve with the noodles and mixed veggies. I do skin the chicken first and then once it is cooked, I debone it and mix it with the veggies and noodles. That is a good way to use the less expensive bone-in parts. We can't always afford the boneless skinless, and drumsticks and bone-in thighs are a lot cheaper.

Who is next with a yummy recipe to share?

All of these recipes sound good. I had to laugh to myself when I read the mexican chicken recipe. When I first started Core I found black beans and before long I was making too many recipes with tomatoes, black beans, corn and salsa. Jim finally said "everything is beginning to look and taste the same". Had to back off for awhile. Maybe it's time to start again. I love my crockpot when I have to work.

Pat

Marilyn - got a dumb question.

Whenever I do chicken in the crock pot the chicken always makes lots of broth...do I drain that off before adding everything else or just keep it in? I don't want to have it too soupy....

It sounds so yummy! I may have to try this next week.

Carrie-
Mine did not come soupy - so no you do not have to drain the chicken, just make sure to drain the canned beans and corn before adding them.

Marilyn

Your Mexican chicken sounds really good. I just ran it through the recipe builder if anyone else needs the points value. For 4 servings it is 7 points per serving and for 6 servings it is 4 points per serving. If you use light cream cheese instead of fat free add 2 points. Thanks Marilyn.

Thanks, Marilyn. Can't wait to try it!!

Crockpot mexican style chicken

Oh my, this sounds really good. I will definitely try it. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Cheryle