General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Low point side dishes?

Any ideas to go with dinners?

Laura

Re: Low point side dishes?

If you like quick and easy, Kraft has 50% whole grain macaroni and chesse that is 5 points if you leave out the butter and use skim milk

Laura, I use green beans, steamed baby carrots, sauted zuchinni or yellow squash, California blend of veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots). Most of those are no points, except for the carrots (when you cook them). Just by using different seasonings, you can add variety. You can purchase individual servings or box for two of quite a few vegetables with cheese sauce (ex. broccoli with cheese sauce, broccoli and rice with cheese, etc) Become a label reader at the frozen food section for prepared side dishes. There are a lot of WW recipes on line, too, at many different sites including this one. I'll give this more thought and share some of my favorites later.

Diane

Oooooo, let's see...

Baked potato topped with salsa
Baked sweet potato topped with ICBINB spray
Oven roasted potatoes
brown rice
Squash or zucchini sauteed with garlic
Green giant veggie blends (frozen)
Green giant broccoli and cheese (frozen)
Lipton noodles and sauce made with no butter and skim milk
FF refried beans
Ore Ida frozen potatoes
salad
Uncle Ben's rice mixes made with no butter
unsweetened applesauce
baby carrots glazed with apple juice or splenda and orange juice
mashed potatoes made with broth and no butter
augratin potatoes made with no butter
whole wheat pasta with ff cream cheese and skim milk (mock alfredo sauce)

That's about all I can think of for now.

HTH,
Uki

Thanks everyone, that helps and gives me some new ideas. I have used a lot of your ideas before but not all.
Laura

How about roasting vegetables..

such as brussel sprouts or caluliflower, eggplant, zucinni or whatever you have, carrots is also good to do.

rub veg with EVVO garlic powder, salt , pepper

bake until they're brown.... about 1/2 hr...

something different done to a veggie

I haven't read through eveyones ideas on this post yet, but here are some things I love...some I haven't had in awhile, but here goes:

Butternut Squash Fries (I highly recommend)
Steamed Broccoli
Salad
Lipton's Mushroom Rice (like the $1.00 kind in the bag)...I pour in some ICINB spray and it turns out perfectly w/o the "real" butter/marg.
Cottege Cheese

I also take a cookie sheet and line it with foil and cut up colorful peppers and cut up some onion and canned whole potatoes. I spray them down with olive oil spray and sprinkle on salt/pepper/garlic powder/chili seasoning and bake them on about 425 degrees until they are the done the way i like them. They smell so good cooking and you can even use foil pans and place it on the grill if you like to grill veggies outside. This makes the house smell so good and I sometimes make myself a "meal" just off these veggies. Got the "idea" from Ronis page...greenlitebites.com....it's one of my favs!

Hope this helps!

here are some more ideas:

Hungry Jack has some flavored instant potatoes that are sold in pouches and all you have to add is water. They taste great and are 2 pts for half a cup.
Stove top is also good, I put just a small amount of the spray butter in it and add some onion to it. If I remember correctly this is 2 pts for half a cup.
Potato Perogies are good also. Pts value depends on brand. I boil them and then saute some onion and garlic and serve that over the perogies or you can just use some low fat sr cream.
Zero pt veggies are great
Barley instead of rice
Beans seasoned with sauted onions, garlic, seasoned salt and red pepper flakes

Oooooo, Tammy, I forgot about Stove top and the Hungry Jack pouches. You are right - those are yummy. I love pierogies too....

Lots of great suggestions, Ladies! :)

Yum, everything sounds so good, thanks again everyone.

Laura

I like to use the Uncle Bens brown rice that are in 1 cup containers already cooked and mix any type of veges in it.
I use the green giant steam veges so much quicker.