Welcome to
Aimee's Adventures
Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Patty - grits recipe, pretty please?

Patty, if you have a minute, would you be so kind as to share your grits recipe with us? It just sounds so good - pure comfort food during this cold weather.

Thanks so much!

Re: Patty - grits recipe, pretty please?

What exactly is "grits?"

I think it is a relative of cornmeal?? I think of it as a cross between cream of wheat and cornmeal. I used to eat it all the time for breakfast, but grits can be eaten in different ways for different meals. Patty, do fill us in! :)

Uki, the only grits I've eaten here at home (meaning not out to eat), are the Quaker instant grits that you make with either milk or water. Then I spay with ICBINB and salt. I don't know what else to do with them. Sorry, I'm not much help.
Laura

LOL Laura because that the extent of what I have done with them too. :) Here's hoping Pat hops on here soon to get the ball rolling on some other recipes. :)

OK here is the recipe that I got from the WW message board

Grits/Ham Casserole

1/3 cup grits (I used quick grits)
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
12 oz ff evaporated milk
1 1/2 cup diced lean ham
1 cup ff/soy cheese shredded (this keeps it CORE; sub low fat if desired)
3 eggs beaten
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp dried parsley
2 - 3 dashes hot sauce

Boil water and salt and add grits. Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes. (This is very thick!)

Mix in other ingredients and pour into a deep pie plate coated with PAM.

Cook for 350 for 40 - 45 minutes. Test with a knife to be sure center is done. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

It is very good but basically a quiche. I was picturing a thicker grits with the ham and cheese mixed in. Took closer to 60 minutes to cook in my oven.
I used fat free swiss slices in it.
Don't know the points but do know that it is all Filling Foods (Core). We ate half last night and each had a piece for lunch today.

Grits are white corn. They can be used as a side for breakfast with butter or as a cereal with milk and sugar. You can make them and put in a loaf pan. Put the pan in the frig and when they get cold you can slice any fry. One of Jim's favorite special breakfasts in fried grits with syrup. If you fry them just be careful because they pop. I've had burns on my skin from hot grits popping on me.
I like to have them with runny eggs, mix all together.
That is the tutorial on grits today. They can be found usually by the oatmeal.

Pat

Sounds good Pat, thanks.

Laura

Thanks, Pat! You're a peach! :)

sounds good never had them before. I might just have to try them

thanks pat!