Welcome to
Aimee's Adventures
Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Olive Oil

This ingredient has boggled my mind for a while now. I was going to ask how much u should use per day but Carrie awnsered that in the sweet potatoe recipies. I was wondering what kind u should use. There are so many kinds out there. Do u use different kinds with different foods. Is Virgin or extra virgin better for u than regular? Any in sight is always appreciated.
I have a hard time giving up my points to this ingredient. Anyone else?

Chels

Re: Olive Oil

Chelsie, I also have a problem getting my oils in. Doing Simply Filling I get to use 2 tsp. without counting points. I'm always saving during the day in case I need the oil for dinner then I don't use it. I've been making popcorn at night with the 2 tsp oil just to get it in.
I'm not really sure about olive oil except that I think the extra virgin is best for on salads and dipping bread (even if Rachel Ray uses it for everything). Think the lower categories are more for cooking.

Pat

The only 2 WW recommends us to use is

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Canola Oil

I use 2 tsp of EVVO in a smoothie, you can't taste it
but it does make it silky....

Just checked Book 1 of the Momentum plan and it says "Healthy Oils- Olive, canola,safflower,sunflower or flaxseed oil" page 25

Pat

I too have a problem giving up points for "oil." However, I do use olive oil spray generously when I use it. Does that even count??? I tend to spray a lot of it on my veggies when I roast them (butternut squash fries/peppers).

Even before WW, I did not really use "oil" for anything. I have a bottle of canola, but I keep it handy only for when I make cakes...and I really don't do that anymore since I make cakes now with diet soda.

The "oil" thing is really hard for me and honestly (and this is just me) I just don't worry about it. I follow all the other guidelines for but I have "issues" with oil. Even since I had my gallbladder removed, I just cannot handle oily foods b/c it bother's my digestive system too much. I hope I'm making sense b/c I know what I'm wanting to say but not sure I'm getting it right as I'm typing this.

I don't get my oils in like I'm supposed to either but one way I do is when I roast veggies. I put my veggies in a zip lock back with 1 to 2 tbsp. oil depending on how many veggies are in the bag, shake it until the veggies are covered, put on a roasting pan, season and bake. They taste a little different this way than with using the spray oils.

Thanks everyone. I'm glad u all know about it because I was clueless. I did try potatoes last night with just a little bit of olive oil and pepper in a ziplock steam bag. I couldnt believe how good they were. I have never had them this way I always used a little butter. so I think I will start substituting it for my butter when ever I can. These potatoes were so good I didnt even miss the sourcream either. THey only take 7 minutes and no dirty dishes!!!!

Thanks again
Chels